Paint protection services are normally offered by dealers to people buying a new car. It essentially works as an invisible coating applied over the top of a car’s paintwork to shield it from external threats such as stone chips, bird droppings, and tree sap to name a few. This also helps to maintain the car’s exterior in top condition for a longer period of time.
In this article, we will be discussing the pros and cons of going for a Paint Protection System or a Paint Protection Film for your car.
Paint Protection Film (PPF)
The PPF is essentially a layer of high-quality thermoplastic urethane film that is applied to a topcoat of painted surfaces of a new or used car. Car paint protection films are available in a variety of colours or in an optically clear version, in various thickness levels.
The urethane clear film is highly resistant to acidic contaminants and corrosion, making it one of the best materials to protect your car’s topcoat against bug splatters, bird droppings, acid rain, mineral deposits and more. The material also helps to lower the rate of oxidation of the paint due to excessive exposure under the sun or UV light.
The PPF is made from an elastomeric polymer substance that helps it maintain a natural shape once it has been stretched or applied, allowing it to fit seamlessly onto a coat of paint and appear virtually invisible.
PPF is sold with multiple brand names:
- Clear Bra: the most popular brand name for automotive PPF products in the United States. It is also the default name used for PPF similar to “Ziplock” bags or “Post-It” notes.
- Clear Mask
- Invisible Shield
- Rock Chip Protection
- Clear Wrap
- Car Scratch Protection Film
- Full protection against rock chips
- Self-healing properties when damaged
- Prevents a lot of scratches from ruining the paint
- Can last 5-10 years in some cases
- Tends to reduce the shine of a vehicle paint
- Some are not very hydrophobic, requiring an additional top up of ceramic coating to get proper protection
- Can discolour and produce a yellowish-glow (for cheaper or knock-off products)
- If it is damaged, it needs to be completely replaced
- Most expensive among other protective coatings such as car wax, ceramic coatings
Paint Protection System
On the other hand, a car Paint Protection System can include other forms of protection, such as natural wax, synthetic wax or ceramic coatings. Ceramic coatings in particular have been acknowledged to offer the best protection in terms of longevity and resistance to scratches.
Ceramic coats are made of inorganic materials that bond with your paintwork when applied. After it dries on your car’s paintwork, the ceramic coating will harden and become a semi-permanent sealant.
- Protection from UV damage / Oxidation
- Protection from chemical stains and etching
- Very hydrophobic: Easier cleaning process
- Enhanced gloss
- Lasts even longer than synthetic car wax
- High resistance to contaminants because of its hard texture
- Might leave swirl marks if improper car washing techniques are used
- Takes longer to apply
- Will have an extreme “hard candy” shine that might not be to everyone’s liking
Both do an excellent job at protecting your car’s exterior therefore, it depends on your budget and type of finishing you prefer. Regardless of which you choose, you should consider getting some sort of car paint protection in order to better maintain the condition of your car.
Where to get car paint protection in Singapore?
Lambency Detailing offers various two types of ceramic coating packages – Basic and Signature CC36 with 2 to 5 years of durability. Lambency Detailing also offers 3 Stage Paint Correction to help auto-enthusiasts and car collectors who are looking to maintain the highest level of quality, luxury and longevity of their cars. The service is able to remove almost all marks, scratches and haze from your vehicle’s finish, and protect it from the very same ailments in the future.
Find out more about the specific services included in each coating package over here. Book an appointment with us to get your car paint protection now! Tel : (65) 6810 9918 Whatsapp : (65) 9658 5808 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org